4 September, 2023
Job Opportunity: Senior Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Consultant
Due to ongoing and continued business growth, we are currently looking for an experienced archaeologist to join our friendly team in our Kilcoole office in County Wicklow.
TITLE: Senior Archaeological & Cultural Heritage Consultant
LOCATION: IAC Head Office, Network Enterprise Centre, Kilcoole, Co Wicklow/ home working (subject to agreement).
CONTRACT: Full-time (37.5 hour-week Mon-Fri.)/ potential for part-time (subject to agreement). Immediate start, permanent position (pending suitability and probation).
REMUNERATION: €45-48,000 per annum (dependant on experience).
BACKGROUND: IAC Archaeology is Ireland’s largest archaeological consultancy with significant experience in working for a wide variety of Clients and across sectors, from transport and utilities to commercial and residential developments. We have a dedicated and highly professional consultancy and fieldwork team, who work to the highest standard and provide robust and objective solutions for the benefit of our clients and the wider historic environment. IAC Archaeology is proud to be a Corporate Member of the Institute of Archaeologists of Ireland.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Reporting to the Associate Director (Team Leader), you will provide high quality archaeological advice and support to a variety of private and public-sector clients. Responsibilities will include the following.
• Preparation of archaeological assessments as part of the planning application process; screening and scoping reports as part of the EIAR process and EIAR chapters as part of a variety of large-scale development. Responsibilities will also include the compilation of constraints studies and route selection assessments, which form part of the development of large-scale infrastructure developments. We currently have nine major infrastructure projects running through consultancy as well as multiple smaller projects.
• Compiling impact assessments in relation to the archaeological and cultural heritage resource and devising mitigation measures for same.
• Undertaking field inspections as part of the assessment process, in order to identify recorded and previously unrecorded sites of archaeological and cultural heritage potential.
• Liaising with statutory and non-statutory authorities, as well as project design teams and clients.
• Managing sub-contractors, where additional specialist surveys are required as part of the consultancy process.
• Providing expert witness services for archaeology and cultural heritage at Oral Hearing, as well as responding to submissions and attending workshops.
• Minimum BA/BSc Degree in Archaeology (Any postgraduate qualifications in EIA would be a particular advantage, along with any qualifications relating to the built heritage resource)
• Minimum 2 years’ senior archaeological consultancy experience (in either the UK or Ireland – project examples will be required)
• Robust knowledge of planning systems in relation to archaeology and heritage and a thorough knowledge of archaeology and heritage subject matter and the application of policy.
• Excellent writing and communications skills, ability to work individually and as part of a team, thrive under pressure and able to work to tight deadlines. Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to changing situations is critical.
• Proven knowledge of archaeological fieldwork processes (On site fieldwork experience would be of benefit)
• Applicants should also be proficient in Word and Excel and in using GIS and mapmaking software (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS)
• Highly motivated, conscientious and efficient approach to work.
• A full driving licence
IAC is an equal-opportunities employer.
HOW TO APPLY: Email a cover letter and CV to Faith Bailey email@example.com by 5pm Friday 22nd September 2023.